9.23.2009

Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

First, this is my favorite course name ever. Manipulative medicine? That is hilarious.
The class is less hilarious than the name. Osteopathic manipulative medicine is what makes the main difference between DO physicians and MD physicians. It involves the diagnosis and manipulation (ie, moving things around in the body) of somatic dysfunction (which is basically when things in the body like bones don't move exactly the way they are supposed to, which can cause symptoms in some people). I feel totally lost in this class. Since most problems are in the back, we are touching a lot of people's backs. The problem is that everything just feels like "back" to me. I have not elevated my sense of touch to "good back" and "bad back," but I'll need to if I plan on passing this class, which I need to do to graduate. You can bet I'm going to work hard on figuring that out.

4 Comments:

Dave Buck said...

Don't worry. I can't tell the difference, either.



JJ Olsen said...

It's like when you're at an art museum. Just look around and try to see what other people are saying, and then copy them.



Laurel said...

My back hurts. learn it well



Tiffany Brown Olsen said...

If you ever need to know what "bad back" feels like - I am here for you. Every medical professional who touches my back goes, "ohh, that's not good."