11.02.2009

Creepy Cloud Face (Old Spice and their Subliminal Tricks)

I have an admission to make: Apparently I am a big stinkin' sucker for subliminal advertising. Apparently if someone smiles at me as I'm considering what to buy, I will buy it (even if it is a wall of barely disguised silly cloudy cartoon faces, each staring back at me from their own respective bottle of body wash). I wouldn't have believed it if I had not experienced what I relate below:
Sometimes when I am bored or really tired I look at things with random patterns and look for shapes and faces in the randomness (maybe while looking at a pattern in some tiles, or staring at the trees or some shadows or a pile of laundry). Sometimes the things I see are pretty neat and I am surprised how undeniably recognizable the random pattern or shape seems to be.
This occurred a few weeks ago when I looked closely at my Old Spice body wash bottle, but I am convinced it is actually a subliminal message to convince indecisive male shoppers that their product is happier. It is probably "supposed" to be clouds, but you can decide for yourselves if this is my imagination.

Do you see it?

===================================
Update: Since apparently no one is seeing the face here, I have used photoshop to make clear what I think are the eyebrows (and the shadows under them), the shadow under the nose, and the smile. You can also see what sort of looks like a faux-hawk, and a chin or tapering neck. I find it hard to think that the graphic designers who are making this product failed to notice they were drawing a face.




Does it still just look like clouds to you?

9 Comments:

Laurel said...

no explain further!



leah jane said...

nope, i see nothing.



Andrew said...

Seriously? Stare at the clouds. I'll try to enhance the picture sometime. Trust me, there is a face.



JJ Olsen said...

As someone who is supposedly educated in marketing, I have to say that you must have totally made this up. No for-profit company in a capitalist society would ever try to trick customers in any way...



Brittany Anne said...

hahahahahahahaha!!!! i love the face. you are good at picking that up. i remember finding faces in grandma's basement on the walls.



leah jane said...

that's funny. i like your version better, and think they should adopt the more blatant happy face.



Jerilyn said...

It has a very friendly and prominent eyebrow.



Andrew said...

Now that it is so obvious, you can imagine how upsetting it is to realize that I was manipulated by product designers. I'm considering boycotting, but then what if I'm less happy without my cloud face?



Tiffany Brown Olsen said...

ha. maybe they just put it there to cheer you up in the morning. not a bad thing.