12.05.2009

Soundtrack to a Medical Education

I wanted to share the 15 songs that, so far, have saved my sanity and my GPA here at Midwestern University. After five months of studying, I have listened to these songs for over 116 hours (Yeah, I figured it out. What's it to ya?). For me, they provide the right balance of being interesting, having undistracting beats, and occasionally waking me a bit when I'm feeling dozy. For your enjoyment I present my studying soundtrack:
  1. Mike Mills - Air
  2. Lovers' Carvings - Bibio
  3. No Distance Left To Run - Blur
  4. Letters from the Sky - Civil Twilight
  5. I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Death Cab For Cutie
  6. Your Heart Is An Empty Room - Death Cab For Cutie
  7. Transatlanticism - Death Cab For Cutie
  8. Blind - Hercules and Love Affair
  9. Bulletproof - La Roux
  10. Gimme Sympathy - Metric
  11. Knights Of Cydonia - Muse
  12. Just - Radiohead
  13. Buildings & Mountains - The Republic Tigers
  14. Take Me To The Riot - Stars
  15. Night Windows - The Weakerthans
Directions: 1) Listen, 2) Succeed, 3) Repeat.


The only other track that might be stealing my attention is "Brown Noise Loop" on the album White Noise Loops for Sleep. No music - it is just muffled noise sounds that keep you from paying attention to other sounds (like when people are laughing in the quiet study room, ahem), but it may been the best $0.99 I've spent in some time.

6 Comments:

bethany jane. said...

i'm about to listen to all these songs hoping that they will help me succeed with all that i have to do tonight... i hope so badly that it works. also, if you like white noise (or brown) you should get the app called WhiteNoise lite.its got all sorts of cool white noises... and like forrest sounds. "the nature calleth to me...!" i just now realized that that could be mistaken as implying that one needs to use the bathroom... funny. all those times we sang it with such fervor... good luck with life and all that is in it this week. the end (at least Christmas) is so near!



reneeebony said...

Bulletproof and all other La Roux has certainly gotten played out around my house. love.
its really too bad i can't read and listen to music otherwise i'd start on the path today to be as successful as you.



Janelle said...

andrew,
please tell medical school to go away so you will have more time to blog and we will have more time to not study.
kthanxbye
janelle



Andrew said...

So far these songs have still been doing their job just great. If anyone wants a copy of my "Studying to the Hits" CD, just let me know and I'll shoot one your way.

Also, Janelle, I'm trying now to make up for all the time I didn't have earlier. I am hoping to be a better blogger now that some of the hardest stuff is past.



Janelle said...

thanks. i am glad you are back - i've missed you(r blog).



Andrew said...

Ha ha. You are truly hilarious.